Technology aids small business owners in leveraging their limited capital in more effective ways. Sometimes, utilizing technology is a natural progression for processes already in place within the business. At other times, adjustments may need to be made in order to reap benefits from tech-friendly alternatives. Thankfully, the benefits will certainly outweigh any potential short-lived challenges that may arise during the transitional time once new systems are in place.
The ideas presented below will allow your business to do more with less and become more efficient and versatile. Even if you’re not tech-savvy, there are ways to implement technology within your business that are quick and painless.
- Use a time tracking software to determine how you are spending your time. Then, you can evaluate and determine how to be more productive.
- Replace your costly name brand application with open source alternatives.
- Utilize a digital filing system. Doing so will make it easier to save, sort, find, and share documents.
- Develop an email management process to make it easier to stay on top of the message flow.
- Stay on top of your daily business responsibilities by using project management and task management tools.
- Use digital dictation to streamline your work processes.
- By using an online budget tracker you will keep on top of, and reduce, your expenses.
- Use an invoice service online to help reduce the cost of payment collection from clients.
- Comprehensive accounting software will streamline your business finances
- File your taxes online.
- Use your digital files you created above to share your financial records with your bookkeeper and accountant.
- Sell products and services online which will create a new revenue stream.
- Start a blog that is related to your business and reaches your target audience.
- Software can help you create a marketing plan that you can edit, share, and update.
- Social media sites are a great way to promote your products, services, and your business.
- Use an opt-in form to collect email address to utilize the power of email marketing.
- Video marketing can be very lucrative.
- Create a website to promote your business online.
Collaboration and Learning
- Online teleconference calls are a great way to be sure the entire team is up to date, even if they’re all over the world.
- Use a webinar or conduct a web conference for no travel face time.
- Utilize online business training to expand your knowledge.
- Put your files and data in the cloud.
- Use an intranet for local file sharing.
- Use instant messaging as a way to communicate quickly with your team.
- Utilize social media to get customer feedback and conduct customer service.
- Set up an online ticket system or help desk to deal with issues.
- Allow customers to schedule an appointment online.
- Get customer feedback through online surveys.
Mobile Working and Telecommuting
- Creating a mobile office allows you the privilege of working productively from anywhere.
- Remote desktop applications can access files from your office computer making mobile working more functional.
- Save money on supplies and storage by going paperless.
- Find apps that sync with the Cloud to help you stay connected no matter where you are.
- Obtain a virtual phone number and an e-fax line that can follow you anywhere.
By Christine Trimbur
Jay Clark & Associates